Men’s health and fitness trends A Personal Experience


 MH reader Alkhas Joseph got so inspired by his own weight-loss, he decided to take up fitness as a profession.

Before Weight: 85 kg

After Weight: 66 kg
Profession: Celebrity fitness trainer
Location: Chennai

I honestly believe that after steroids, junk food is the worst evil for men. A pampered child, my burger and cola habits got me to a hulkish 80kg by 11th standard in 1999. The fitness trend at that time was ‘big and bulky,’ so when I did join a gym, I skived off cardio for heavy weight training-effectively increasing my bulk to 85kg.

Stay off the juice
I was known as ‘the bouncer’ in my office and things got out of hand when a former Mr India got me hooked on steroids. If you’re ever tempted to try them out remember this: Steroids contain oestrogen (female hormones). Your face swells up unbecomingly because of water retention. I’d get severe joint pains but the antibiotics and painkillers I took didn’t work thanks to steroids.

Watch the clockFat is good!
One major myth I busted was the importance of essential fats. Change your cooking oil as often as you can to derive different benefits from all of them, though olive oil is the healthiest. Fish oil supplements only provide you with omega-3. Sub it with flaxseeds or flaxseed oil: You’ll get omega-3 and 6 in one shot! Dry fruits are also a good source of good fats when taken in moderation.

A good diet is better enhanced with timing, especially when it comes to pre- and post-workout meals. I eat oatmeal and milk prior exercise sessions. Oatmeal has slow-releasing carbs and it fuels the workout. Forty fi ve minutes post workout, I gulp a protein shake and a banana: During exercise, the blood runs to other body parts, leaving your digestive tract empty, which helps digest food more effectively.

Workout smart
Treat your abs like any other part of your body. I break my abs routine and perform it once a week like other body parts because it’s not exercise that gives you bigger guns or a six-pack: Your muscles grow during rest period. Add to your muscles with mutton: Red meat is better than white (like chicken) because it is richer in iron and fuels muscle growth.

Go au naturale
Every supplement you need is available naturally. A lot of guys take nitric oxide, thinking it’s not as harmful as steroids: Your best and most natural source of nitric oxide is a spoon of honey: I take it with a glass of luke-warm water in the morning. That said, stick to your vitamins, especially vitamin E for healthier skin.


Comments